About the license

Topics: User Forum
Apr 5, 2007 at 5:29 AM
Can I use this component in a contest (where I can win money) ?
Coordinator
Apr 15, 2007 at 10:31 PM
Yes, you can use it in a contest, even if you win and get money for it (I don't ask for anything in that case).
If you sell the game, (like get a contract for your game) then.....I don't know, I haven't thought it out that far. It's not like I invented then quadtree idea...I just did an implementation. :)
Apr 16, 2007 at 5:45 AM
Thank you,

BTW why not using a known licence (like GPL or LGPL...), people are more willing to contribute to a project if it has a clear license.
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2007 at 9:50 PM
I had thought about it those. But I don't want anything comlicated. If it's for non-comercial use, I want a completely free license (so long as I'm not held responsible for some damage somewhere). No reading of lots of text, just use it as you please (this includes competitions as free use even if you get paid a prize for it.).
For comercial use, I don't know what I want if anything. At this point (as of version 0.3.5) I really don't mind if it's used comercially, since one would have a lot of work to do to get this code ready for that. But in the future, if I spend another 500 or so hours on it, I might want just a shareware type license for it if used comercially.
Any thoughts on it?
Apr 17, 2007 at 1:15 AM
There is a good ebook about managing open source software, and it's free. Take a look at the following www.producingoss.com

It explains some common licenses and how they work at this link http://www.producingoss.com/html-chunk/legal.html

A Dual Licensing scheme may suite your needs, in wich

"proprietary derivative works may pay the copyright holder for the right to use the code, but the code still remains free for use by open source projects"

Personally, your component is very helpful and I will gladelly pay for it if Im using it in a commercial project.
Feb 8, 2010 at 7:02 PM

I think that a good idea would be to make a logo. Tell that if you use it in your game you have to show the logo. You will probably get publicity.

You can always have a limit of what the company has to earn before you can call it commercial.

Just ideas...

Coordinator
Oct 2, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I have changed the license (see the license link above) using the MIT format.

I have also created a newer quadtree library for my use, which I may publish in the future.

I treat this particular project (here on codeplex) as more of a learning project, where people new to 3D data management structures can learn freely, as I have been able to from others.  I thank everyone who takes part in helping others learn and I hope to be of some assistance where I am able also.