A bit quiet here

May 18, 2007 at 3:55 PM
Clyde

Just thought I'd ping you and see where your upto these days with the project, still going?, or put to one side while you jump nto DBP?

Interested to see if you've managed to get any of the Texture splatting/LOD built in yet?

Rgds
Darkside
Coordinator
Jun 3, 2007 at 12:48 AM
I'm still around, but YES, DBP : )
The thing is, I must be getting old and just can't remember correctly.....

I could swear that I had read that DBP deadline was June 2,2007..............I've been working my *ss off day and night on my game and went to send it today (June 2) and what do ya know, a free month just pop'ed in there!

Now I can do the things I was putting on my wish list :)

And the DBP project has taught me alot, which I hope to put into this Quadtree project.

(and Darkside, thanks for inquiring :)
Sep 5, 2007 at 2:33 PM
Same question again I guess. Now that DBP's over and your game failed to meet any recognition what so ever, how are you surviving!
And have you survived?

;-)
Chin up, next one you'll win I'm sure!
Coordinator
Sep 11, 2007 at 1:36 AM
Darkside,
I'm surviving. I haven't done any programing since DBP, I'm just working on my uncle's recording studio and the place here (I built my house, we are living in it, but I have to finish a few things inside like cabinets and trim and do some landscaping).

I hope to work on the quadtree component more soon. I have a lot of ideas for making it better. I hope to support shader instancing for landscape objects as well as QuadTreeGameComponents. In my DBP project, I used shader instancing and got really good performance from it. I render hundreds of "debris" objects as well as all the friend and foe craft using it.

Have you seen my XSpace project that I entered into DBP?
Sep 11, 2007 at 10:28 AM
Yeah, I tried quiet a few of the DBP entries, especially those from people I knew.
Only iisue I had with xSpace against some of the other entires was that there was not enough on-screen effects (i.e space looking a bit flat, needed some bloom or sparkle)

Game play was good though and the polish on the rest of the game was great. Even ran on my poor Dell laptop which was also a winner.

I've been quiet a lot recently as well, only getting a few bits done here and there, mostly procedural generation work, although I need to start fitting it in now with Quad/Oct trees now

That and integrating it with my universe management engine, finding it tricky to have a common ground between my graphics engine and my logic engine, lol.
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2007 at 12:13 PM
When you say, procedural generation (along with universe management) are you saying that you are working on crateing planets/landscape/solar systems on the fly procedurally?
Sep 12, 2007 at 4:57 PM
Yup, lots of taking the right mathematical algorithms and making what I need, from procedural models to textures and the like, sorta along the lines of Sean O'Niels work ( a few years behind mind)
Recently got a hold of "TEXTURING & MODELING A Procedural Approach", a great book which has taught me a lot more about noise generation to make things a bit more random.

Started with the universe engine a while back, the back end engine and recently started doing more on the graphical side (it's amazing how much work is needed to replicate the Mesh.Createsphere routines you take for granted in old MDX and directX as there's nothing like that in XNA), my planetary render is in it's initial phase now and I'm just trying to tie the two engines together efficiently.

Then I'll need to introduce (probably Octrees) for both planetary and Solar System wide visuals to make it fly, properly (keeping the triangle count low for objects while playing).
After that I'll get back to the planetary renderer, need some well optimised split routines for the Tree to make the Space to planet transition work well, trying on CPU first before moving it to a shader.

Sean has a head up there as he lives in shaders where I live in code. tis fun though. Especially generating procedural normals for all content.

Thinking of taking a break soon and doing some camera tutorials, for a rest, lol.
Jan 3, 2008 at 5:45 AM
Keep up the good work! You've obviously put in the hard hours and have produced a great terrain component. The features you've mentioned are exciting.